Sunday, October 3, 2010
Titans of the mightiest metallic storm,
I am pleased to announce that for this week only, Satan's Palace will be dominating the airwaves for the entirety of two dark, cold nights. KZSC's new Fall schedule is to be up and running tomorrow, Monday, October 4th and features your favorite show on at a new time: Monday nights from 10:30-12:30am PST. This means that tonight, it's business as usual and you can catch the Palace for the last time in it's current Sunday night location. Tune in for your regular weekly beating (plus some new and tantalizing surprises...) tonight at 10:30pm and then again tomorrow night, same time, for round two deep in my new slot.
Three cheers for metal, drunken debauchery, and an underlying dedication to all things fun. See you out there!
Monday, September 27, 2010
This is the moment when I take a step back from my sick obsession and take a long, hard look at the material that I have been giving more than its fair share of airplay as of late. In the following list, you will find both recent recordings that come at high recommendation by yours truly. Dispute it if you must, but you might do well to at least consider the following releases that have been flicking my proverbial bean for the past month:
5. Coffinworm- When All Became None (Profound Lore, 2010): These crusty fuckers from Indianapolis put out their first full length in April, blending black, stoner, doom and drone into a thick audiosludge that sticks to your brain like resin to the walls of your lungs. It's dirty, it's fucking fabulous and I can't stop telling people to give them a listen. With lines such as "We huff your rot", Coffinworm proves to be good fun throughout.
4. Winterfylleth- The Ghost of Heritage (Profound Lore, 2009): Could it be? Folk Black Metal from England that comes absent of the squeaky clean layer of bubblegum bullshit? Indeed folks, it is true. With Pagan pride in their hearts and glory in their horizon, Winterfylleth delivers the raw goods with a tasteful dose of the Anglo-Saxon folk chant. Like 'em? Give the band Fen a listen as well.
3. Watain- Lawless Darkness (Season of Mist, 2010): Watain have made a name for themselves through their dedication to wholly evil, unrelenting black metal. This year's Lawless Darkness showcases their ability uphold their reputation for cold blasphemy while also incorporating a throwback sound reminicent of early thrash and chock-full of soaring guitar riffs. This album is practically f-lawless. Let the ferocity possess you. Drink it in.
2. Oranssi Pazuzu- Muukalainen Puhuu (2009): Finnish psychedelic black metal act OranssiPazuzu's Muukalainen Puhuu is a sonic mindfuck trip you'll want to embark on again and again. With supremely haunting vocals and reverb-heavy, echoing melodies this album will have your little stoner mind lost in a purple void of madness.
1. Vault Dweller- Messenger of Doom (2009): What hath boredom in Salem, Oregon wrought?! A groovy, sexy-ass, ultra-dirty crusty metal combo that I can't seem to get enough of. I had the pleasure of catching these guys live in a garage on 3rd street playing alongside another notable ambient, wall-of-sound local black metal act, Fell Voices. They seem to fall somewhere between Dystopia and eyehategod on the spectrum of wow. Clean that waxy buildup from inside your ear and enjoy.
Welcome sinners, metallians, bands, audiophiles, perverts, and blackened alike! I am DJ Dementia, host of KZSC Santa Cruz's Satan's Palace! This officially marks the first post of the revamped accompanying blogspot. My aim is to keep you informed of new and exciting extreme metal releases, shows, and related events both local and abroad while simultaneously praising the historical titans of this seedy musical style. Satan's Palace is going on it's fourth year broadcasting on the FM dial, reaching Santa Cruz, Monterey, and San Benito county in California, giving heavy obscure bands a home on non-commercial, community radio.
There's a wide assortment of disgusting grooves out there, plenty that I am unaware of, so I would love any constructive suggestions or feedback you may have to offer either regarding this blog or the program itself. Tune in every Sunday night, from 10:30-12:30am PST at 88.1 FM KZSC, or online at www.kzsc.org.
If you happen to be in a band yourself, and would like to submit your material to the station to be reviewed and aired, please send your demo tapes, burned cd's, 8 tracks, LP's, or Yak-Bak recordings to the address listed below. Keep the metal spirit alive and strong! And for fuck's sake, put a smile on that bulbous head of yours and have a little fun!